Sunday, January 31, 2010

Deflated desserts and rank-breaking rodents

These are Smores Cupcakes, but you can refer to them as Bane Of My Existence Cakes:


This was taken right after they came out of the oven, and in approximately 60 seconds they collapsed from the inside out. We're talking completely hollowed out. I would have taken a picture, but I was too busy throwing a fit. (Turns out a hole in the middle of a cupcake is the perfect place for a marshmallow. Problem solved.)

This is a squirrel, but you can refer to him as Legion (for they are many).

 

The squirrels of Monroe County have decided that my roof is the prime location for them and all of their friends and family to congregate for the winter. Usually we keep our amicable distance, but today they crossed some irreversible lines and we are not on good terms. The first line: I got out of the shower this morning to find a squirrel screeching at the top of its lungs because it's head was stuck in the rafter. Nothing says good morning like a screaming squirrel. Line two: pictured above. Too close for comfort. Line three: as I was taking round two of B.O.M.E. cakes out of the oven I heard scratching. And then it got louder. And it was coming from my cupboards. And come to find out, the oversized rodents were trying to come inside through a crack in my ceiling. Irreversible line crossing. Squirrels of Monroe County: it's on.

Life on Orchard Street. Never a dull moment.

2 comments:

MGBR said...

Sorry about your squirrel problem--how horrible! But how about that B.O.M.E. cupcake recipe...post a link?

Beka Watts said...

Thank you for reminding me!!! Totally forgot to link the recipe - it's up now! By the third round of cupcakes I figured out that the key is to smoosh the marshmallow down a bit and completely cover the top with the chocolate batter - no holes! They are fun though, and pretty tasty, despite my initial frustrations. Good luck!