Thursday, December 24, 2009

There's no place like home for the holidays

Mom: I'm thinking we'll have apple sauce as the vegetable tomorrow. I can't think of anything else.
Me: Do you like brussels sprouts?
Mom: EW. UGH. Wait...do YOU like brussels sprouts???
Me: Yes!
Mom: Who are you and what did you do with my daughter?
Me: I'd never ever had them before last week! My childhood was devoid of sprouts because you don't like them.
Mom: Who are you? Some veggie loving hippie?
Me: Yes. Clearly.
Mom: (throws her hands up and starts singing) Peace, love, and brussels sprouts!
Me: Ok then, apple sauce as the vegetable it is.
Mom: (Can't hear me because she's still laughing.)

Family, the true gift of Christmas.

(And apparently all of my posts have to be named after Christmas songs this week. I can't help it...I am a woman consumed by carols.)

(Also, I just found out that its "brussels sprouts" not "brussel sprouts." Who knew?)

2 comments:

MGBR said...

Hi, Beka. I found your blog via meganpatricia.wordpress.com. We had pureed brussels sprouts with our Christmas dinner, and they were actually quite tasty...kinda like green mashed potatoes. You should give 'em a try! Happy 2010!

Beka Watts said...

Hello! Let me tell you that I was so excited to see that someone is actually following by blog (and may or may not have done a little happy dance about it), so thank you so much for being the first!!! And I may just have to whip up some pureed brussels sprouts soon - good idea! Happy 2010 to you too :)